21 May 2013

I believe I've waited long enough



Firstly, given other comments on John's blog:

Grate two courgettes, chuck in a bowl, mix in 5 tablespoons of flour and three eggs. Season. Chop up a pepper, maybe some onion - whatever you have, really. Chuck in a pan with a bit of oil. Throw in any extras you want - feta, halloumi, bacon, whatever. Season. Either set this aside once it's cooked, and use the same pan again, or get another pan, spoon in big spoonfuls of the courgette batter, cook, flip, cook. Eat.

I walked to and from work today. Needed to...well, get moving a bit. And it's quite nice, London, when it's quiet and the weather's half-decent.

I've been going over and over this one thing in my head.



The other day, I said to John: "Well, hope it makes it easier to understand, too, wanting to get back on when you fall off. I imagine you'd be exactly the same."

And he replied: "Yeah, but I don't need to understand really - I know you love it, that's enough."

And...yeah, I don't really have a way of explaining why that's stuck in my head, except...I'm not really sure anyone's ever felt like that, before. I mean, not so I knew about it.

I've always had a massive drive in me to please and help other people. I've got ideas where it's come from, but...well, doesn't matter, really, it's there. And sometimes it's great, because of the job, and well, it's nice to help others. Other times it's not so great, because I don't have nearly enough self preservation to balance it out. And I just feel like I've spent a lot of my life doing things because other people will approve of them.

So to have John, who just, sort of, approves of me, being me, well...it's pretty special. Pretty amazing.

That amazing boyfriend of mine took Mycroft cupcakes today. And got told off for loitering around school in lunch hour ;) We only have six cupcakes left now. Possibly five or four quite soon....

We're going to Italy next week! Next week. Soon. I'm having my hair cut tomorrow, because it's a bit of a mess. And we've pretty much sorted most other things, except picking up a few Euros.

I'm really looking forward to it. With a slight bit of...trepidation. Because it really is the closest place to my heart. And...well, because it's one of the few places in the world I always worry I might bump into my Father. Not sure I'd recognise him, though. But...yeah, his home town. And a small place. Chance always crosses my mind. This time, however, I would be happy for him to see what my life has become without him.

Have a picture (not taken by me) of some of the rooftops in the city. It's a crazy mess of buildings. A complete maze. I love it.


11 comments:

pandabob said...

you have a seriously special man in your life Greg but then so does he :-)

You sound remarkable sorted for your holiday I'm sure you're supposed to get ready for holidays by sitting around for ages and then running around like mad on the last day ;-)

Thanks for sharing the recipe I might just give it a go.

Greg Lestrade said...

I'm sure you're supposed to get ready for holidays by sitting around for ages and then running around like mad on the last day

Think we're saving that scenario for our wedding...

It's barely a recipe! More a mixture of ingredients which happen to fall onto a plate.

John H. D. Watson said...

Love you. And I definitely approve of you being you. :)

I think Italy will be wonderful. Can't wait.

And about your father...would he recognise you? I wouldn't think so if he hasn't seen you in so long, so you could just choose not to say anything if we do see him.

we've pretty much sorted most other things, except picking up a few Euros

And laundry. And unpacking whatever Sherlock decides to pack.

pandabob said...

That works as well ;-)

I think most of the best recipes are better described that way to be honest and given all I came up with for my dinner was toast I think its impressive.

Greg Lestrade said...

Love you too, John.

I think it will too. I'm not going to disclose my cunning plan for getting around Sherlock's packing - or he'll evade it!

I've no idea. I mean, I doubt it? But...I look a lot like him, so, he might sort of...put two and two together? And I've no idea if he's seen any more recent pictures of me, either. Hell, I've no idea if he's still alive, so it's pointless worrying about it, really.

John H. D. Watson said...

Probably. Pointlessness never stops anyone worrying though, I don't think.

I can't believe we're leaving so soon.

Greg Lestrade said...

I know!

it'll be great, all being together again.

Small Hobbit said...

Hope the aches and pains are starting to ease up now, L. Is Sherlock continuing to inspect the bruises?

I spent 40 minutes having a filling in a back tooth yesterday and my jaw is so stiff I had problems eating breakfast this morning, so you have my sympathy.

pandabob said...

I hope work treats you well today Greg :-)

Good luck, not that you need it John :-)

Have a good day at school Sherlock you too Mycroft :-)

Greg Lestrade said...

I am feeling a bit better, yeah! And I fully sympathise on the stiff jaw front...although not from dental work ;)

Good Luck, Johnny! I know you'll knock 'em dead. You looked fantastic, and you're knowledge and skills are without compare.

REReader said...

Best of luck, John! (I was going to say "knock 'em dead," but I guess that's not exactly aporopriate in this case... ;) )

Post a Comment