29 May 2013

Italia

It feels like forever since we updated :) and at the same time, no time at all!

We've explored the city, been to Raffaello's home, walked around the city walls, been to the gelateria, the Ducal Palace, the museums, the beach, the crypt...

Today we went to the cemetery where my relatives are all 'buried'. Which was...well, I'm very glad we went. I talked a bit about them to John and the boys. Got a bit sad, because I just wish they all could have met. And we talked about the different Italian customs regarding the dead. Sherlock loved the crypts there - you can see bones in some of them.

Tomorrow the weather seems like it'll be a bit wet, so we're going to explore some amazing caves near here. They are just...awesome. huge.

Sherlock has charmed the locals into giving him all sorts of things, with his (very good) attempts at Italian. Mycroft has charmed them in completely different ways, if you see what I mean...he doesn't get extra ice cream and boiled sweets. He gets told what a wonderful handsome young man he is :)

Sherlock has eaten at least his own body weight in pizza and ice cream, and is still rushing up and down hills and steps and alleyways like a madman.

We may visit San Marino one day -rather depends on weather! But everyone seems to enjoy just being in the city.. I do!

The hotel is lovely. We have spa baths. Which John and I can fit in together.

I've bumped into a few people i knew as a kid. Lots of people don't leave here. As they all day 'why would you?'. But Sherlock says I talk too fast when I meet people I know, and he can't follow it.

Not all of them are at all happy about my sexual preferences either...the looks on their faces is something else. But equally others aren't at all concerned. Italy's a funny old place, sometimes.

Anyway, must go. Sherlock is 'starving' again....and it's nly 5pm, so we won't eat for another four or five hours!

12 comments:

pandabob said...

that all sounds amazing Greg, like a really lovely family holiday :-)

I'm so glad you're all having fun :-)

I hope you don't slip down a grate before they feed you Sherlock ;-)

Small Hobbit said...

That does sound like a great holiday. Glad to hear you're all enjoying yourselves so much.

I'm sure what Sherlock needed was more ice cream.

John H. D. Watson said...

I can see their point - if I were from here, not sure I'd want to leave either. Not sure I want to leave anyway...

pandabob said...

you could stay John and get the boys to commute to school ;-)

Not wanting to go home is a very good sign for a holiday I'd say. I'm so glad you're loving it :-)

REReader said...

It all sounds both wonderfully touristy and...is intimate the right word? all at the same time--fantastic!

(Of course Sherlock is carbo loading, how else could he do all that running?! ;))

rsf said...

It sounds wonderful. I'm moving Italy up to the top of my bucket list right now!

Small Hobbit said...

Hope you have a great day exploring the caves. Will you find time for an ice cream?

Sherlock said...

Yes! And spaghetti with butter and cheese.

REReader said...

Sherlock, everything you talk about eating sounds so delicious! Have a wonderful time spelunking. :)

rsf said...

For breakfast?

Are there any pictures of the caves on the internet we could look at to imagine you all there? Or will John pull out his camera skills?

John H. D. Watson said...

No pictures allowed, sadly, but I'll look some up and post them later today. We're just about to leave!

REReader said...

I hope the silence is again a sign of a supremely successful day!

Post a Comment