30 June 2013

One man come in the name of love

Yesterday was lovely. Today was lovely too! But yesterday we fetched Mycroft, went to Pride, took the boys to the place we've picked for the wedding, and everything was just...lovely, and sunny, and wonderful.

Here's a small portion of Sherlock's sticker collection for you:


He got John and I matching ones of the middle ones, and was very proud of himself for doing so :) It was a sweet gesture.

He also go countless flyers, condoms, keyrings, whistles, lube - all sorts! Basically stripped all people of all their freebies.

It was nice seeing the Met there - both in the parade and policing it. Some of the coppers policing it were absolutely covered in stickers by the end :)

There were, as always, some characters. Some amazing outfits. Some fetishwear.

I do understand why some people don't like it... Bry always used to say it was ridiculous, trying to get people to accept us as normal by parading through the streets in sparkly pants and dressed in fetishwear. I don't entirely disagree - but no-one says you have to do that. Plenty of people were just there, dressed normally, promoting causes or not. And I love it because I can be there, in public, and in an atmosphere that I know I can watch while I'm hugging the man I'm going to marry, and not get any comments, or 'looks'. Just smiles.

Then we had tea.



Yes, that is a glass of champagne ;) We were all stuffed afterward. Apart from the bottomless pit, who probably could have eaten another.

John was called out last night, so he slept in while Sherlock and I tackled cleaning Sherlock's room. He was moaning because one of the dogs had slightly chewed something - which had been left on the floor. Much better now. Then we had breakfast, and headed off for a swim, which was great. Sherlock's currently addicted to jumping in and then fetching things off the bottom - mainly our locker key, as it's all we have. He is determined that by the end of the summer he'll be able to dive in 'properly'. So we're working with that.

Then ice cream and the allotment. Despite caring for his caterpillars at home very carefully (they should be turning into chrysalis any time now!) Sherlock took on the task of searching for caterpillars and eggs on the allotment with great gusto today.

We investigated our 'early' potatoes today, too. Just about ready! I mean, we could take some now, but they are pretty small. But I reckon in a week, maybe, our first home-grown spuds!

Mainly today was weeding and watering. Reg was there, for a bit of advice. And asking about Mrs Hudson ;) He says our onions and things would be ready if it wasn't for the crap weather. And he's a bit gloomy now we're past the longest day, about their prospects. I mean, they're fine, just small. I think he forgets that what's disappointing to him is all new and exciting for us!

And finally, something Sherlock wants you all to see.





Anyway, hopefully this glorious weather continues. Although a bit wasted on work...

35 comments:

pandabob said...

what a great weekend you've had :-)

Champagne with afternoon tea seems like the perfect combination, I'm glad you all enjoyed it.

Enjoy your evening :-)

Anonymous said...

Dear Sherlock: eewwwwwww!

L: I have a bunch of complicated feelings about Pride Week. I'm not totally out, and the few times I've gone to the parades I've just been jumpy and uncomfortable. But I love to see the photos posted, and the more sparkly pants, the better. Your sticker collection made me cry. In a good way.

Best to all four of you--it sounds like it was a wonderful celebration.

-anon today

Greg Lestrade said...

AnonyBob - It was fantastic. Shame about work, eh?


Anon - I used to have far more complicated feelings about it than I do now. But that's a change in me, not it.

The stickers were good this year! And times have changed so much - seeing police, army, navy, all taking part in their uniforms.

Seeing a group for Broken Rainbow made me...well, definitely got me emotional. For different and possibly conflicting reasons.

http://www.brokenrainbow.org.uk

REReader said...

What a gorgeous tea! Yummmmmmm.


How lovely of Sherlock to find the two of you just the right sticker. :)

Broken Rainbow looks like a very worthwhile and worthy organization, for several reasons.

Greg Lestrade said...

Yeah, he was brilliant all day. Even if he wanted our wedding venue to be slightly more...bizarre.

But we have full Mycroft approval, so that's good!

REReader said...

If Mycroft approves, we know it is lovely, elegant, and appropriate. *nods*

(Sherlock just wants your wedding to have ALL his favorite things!)

Greg Lestrade said...

Yeah. You'd think he was getting married, not us!

He was out like a light tonight. We obviously did a good job of tiring him out today.

REReader said...

:) (Well, you are two of his favorite people, so it all fits.)

And that's a sure sign of a highly successful day!

Greg Lestrade said...

There's a thing about middle names on the BBC page.

I'm fairly sure having two middle names and a double barrelled surname will actually make me a character from Jeeves and Wooster.


Anyway, bed.

Kestrel337 said...

MMMMM....homegrown potatoes. They are so much better than the ones I get at the grocery store.

I see BOY SCOUTS has a sticker, which suggests presence at pride. Very interesting. A lot of my friends were at our city's pride today.

CzechReader said...

Sounds like a lovely weekend. The weather is really bad - when it's not too hot or too cold, it's flooding: all the Czech fields for growing asparagus got flooded and so we had only a very little this year and very very expensive.

Of course - the caterpillars at home are his, those on the allotment are strangers! :-) And then I didn't check the link and backed out real fast, because I am an insectophobic...

Greg Lestrade said...

CR - it's a link about a weird caterpillar, if that helps?

I hope you all have lovely days. I sort of feel like I am.

Anon Without A Name said...

The sticker collection is great - very sweet of Sherlock to collect you matching stickers :-) I especially like "Never kissed a Tory" :-p

A mate of mine procured a rainbow ribbon for her 8-year old a few weeks ago, but thought that said 8-year old needed to understand properly what it meant before deciding whether to wear it or not. Everything was going fine until, having confirmed that yes, some of Mummy's friends are gay, bisexual, transgender, child asked "which ones?". Mummy was then presented with the dilemma of which (if any) friends to "out" to an inquisitive child...

Kestrel: the UK Scouts Pride webpage is here. Definitely makes an interesting contrast to what I've been reading about the Scouts in the US.

Greg Lestrade said...

I really hope every one of you gets to make someone so happy that your own happiness feels like it will burst out of you

pandabob said...

You sound like you're having one of those amazing days where everything feels good Greg :-D I hope it continues that way :-)

REReader said...

That sounds super gorgeous!

(Has it something to do with tennis? :))

John H. D. Watson said...

I honestly have the best boyfriend in the world

Greg Lestrade said...

You don't. I do.

Your employer is pretty good though :)

pandabob said...

I think that is an undisputed fact John but what is today's evidence? ;-)

John H. D. Watson said...

We're at Wimbledon! He's got Centre Court tickets!

pandabob said...

OMG!! enjoy yourselves :-D

Greg Lestrade said...

I really didn't 'get' them. I just asked a lady who managed to.

Mrs H agreed Danger deserved a last day of freedom before the summer holidays hit :)

REReader said...

Yay!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely thing to set up L. John sounded so plaintive when he thought he'd left it too late. I think John may indeed have one of the top two boyfriends ever :)

Greg Lestrade said...

Anon - exactly! He sounded so sad. I had to try and do something about it.

John H. D. Watson said...

you're amazing and I love you

Greg Lestrade said...

You're amazing too. Nothing makes me happier than making you happy.

John H. D. Watson said...

(the only possible response to that was to kiss him, by the way. obviously)

Greg Lestrade said...

As opposed to the only response to me giggling at 'new balls please' - which is eye rolling. :)

Sherlock said...

Is it good is there strawberries? Has anyone been hit with a tennis ball?

Mrs Hudson and I are making TRIFLE and Mycroft is being boring.

Greg Lestrade said...

There have been strawberries :)

Your trifle sounds good! I'm glad you're having fun. And I'm sure Mycroft is quite happy doing whatever he's doing.

pandabob said...

strawberries, good tennis and trifle for when you get home. It seems like you're having a perfect day :-)

REReader said...

Trifle, Sherlock? You're getting to be a very accomplished cook!

Greg Lestrade said...

I hope you're all cheering for the other guy as much as John is :)

Unknown said...

Love the pic of the Pride stickers. I never get to go to the local event because it's always the first weekend in May, when I'm busy both days dancing out with my Garland team and all the Morris dancers. But the local pride shop has the best bumper sticker collection anywhere I've been.
S

Post a Comment