2 May 2011

Sick of being sick

Yesterday was fantastic. We all managed to get oragnised enough to leave the house fairly early, got over to London Field (Sherlock was so excited he almost bounced out of the taxi) and got to the Lido at a good time. It was busy, but not packed. Sherlock had a minor grump about being the only one who needed armbands, but once John gave him the simple choice of 'swim with armbands' or 'don't swim at all' his mind was made up pretty quickly. Mycroft, ever the diplomat, it seems, did also point out that all Sherlock had to do was prove he could swim well enough without, and he'd be able to take them off. So Sherlock set about trying to learn to swim in under sixty seconds.

Well, he didn't quite manage it, but next time we go we might let him out of them.

Mycroft swam a a few lengths with John, then a few with me, except I rapidly discovered 50 metres is a long way, when a couple of days ago I could barely walk that far. So the boys were ravenous when we finished, and I was knackered. Danger just about managed not to say 'I told you so'.

Today i've been back to my flat, to retrieve clean clothes, suits for work, etc. John's discovered Sherlock lied about having done all his homework, and Mycroft has been studying quietly for his schoolwork, and not-quite-so-quietly practicing for his first piano exam, which is soon.

Work tomorrow. Even though Danger's giving me sceptical looks about my ability to survive a day. I will admit I don't think I'll exactly be dancing around by the end of it, but I've got to get back, tonnes to do, court to appear in etc.

18 comments:

John H. D. Watson said...

Just don't go racing after criminals your first day back if you can avoid it, that's all I'm saying!

We'll have to go again, it was a lot of fun. I haven't been swimming for ages.

Greg Lestrade said...

I'll send a memo to the criminals of London.

It was fun. Next time we'll have to go decked out with rainbow beach towels and try to borrow an assortment of children of all races, and hope to meet that woman again to show her we took her advice.

Mazarin221b said...

*snerk*

annoyedwabbit said...

Sounds like a brilliant plan. ;)

Anonymous said...

You're in luck - I live in London, have a rainbow beach towel and can borrow two small mixed race children for the day.

It would be perfect for me as I'd get to claim I fulfilled my guilt induced babysitting duty without having to actually do anything :)

John H. D. Watson said...

L - you could get rainbow swim trunks as well...

annoyedwabbit said...

And Danger could wear his fetching graffiti jacket...

Sorry, it had to be said.

Greg Lestrade said...

There will be no rainbow trunks.

God, it's too early to be heading for the office. Or heading there once I manage to escape Sherlock

John H. D. Watson said...

I agree. Let's go back to bed.

Greg Lestrade said...

Don't tempt me. I'm going to miss you all today. Although I may have so much to do that I barely find the time to.

Greg Lestrade said...

The stacks of work on my desk were taller than I am when I got in this morning... Help?

Anonymous said...

My pile of work this morning was taller than I am too. I'm tackling it in very small batches so that I can have the satisfaction of checking things off as done pretty regularly.

Bronwyn said...

I recommend working in fifteen to thirty minute bursts with five to ten minute brain breaks to do something idiotic like play flash games on the computer.

Good luck with your mountains of paperwork. I suppose you could be glad it isn't a volcano of paperwork?

Later gator,
Bronwyn

Greg Lestrade said...

Good luck to you, Kholly.

Bronwyn, if I took breaks that regularly i'm pretty sure a. The stacks would never get smaller and b. I'd be sacked.

Doesn't help that I've spent hours in briefings about the increased terrorist threat, either.

John H. D. Watson said...

Just out of curiosity, are those briefings actually helpful to anyone?

annoyedwabbit - I'm not wearing that thing out in public, ever.

Greg Lestrade said...

Not to me. They stop me working and tell me things I already know. I think they forget some of us were brought up on a steady diet of IRA bombings/threats as young PCs.

Bronwyn said...

if I took breaks that regularly i'm pretty sure a. The stacks would never get smaller and b. I'd be sacked.

Really? *frowns* That strikes me as wildly counterproductive to me. I'm sure I could find my most recent studies on the function of the male brain as it pertains to attention span and efficiency. Basically it says that for the majority of men, average dedicated attention span runs 7 to 10 minutes for multiple simultaneous tasks and 15 to 30 for a single task. During that time span, attention is easily focused and tasks are accomplished with relative ease and marvelous efficiency. Continued forced attention past the natural span results in a marked decline in information retention, efficiency and coherence of results, and increased energy waste. Basically, working too long on something makes you slow, exhausts you more quickly, and leads to crappy results without a comparable rise in amount done.

Of course, this was a study of developing adolescent male brains, so perhaps not as relevant? Hmm. I wonder if there's an equivalent one for post-adolescents? Or even more applicable, for men in high-stress occupations. *brightens* Research night! Woot! *hangs head* God, I'm such a teacher.

This is why I teach my classes in 20 to 30 minute bursts before we switch tasks.

Later gator,
Bronwyn

Greg Lestrade said...

I've no doubt you're right, Bronwyn, but no one's ever accused the Met of doing things that make sense.

I can guarantee that if someone remotely checked my computer to find me playing games then I would get a warning, at the least.

I usually go and harass a junior officer for a while as a break. Or Chase down some leads. I don't just stare at one thing for hours. Well, not too often.

Post a Comment