20 March 2011

Love to love you...

Firstly, if you missed the beautiful picture Harry sent me yesterday, you need to go back to my last post and see it. Just to set the scene, of us eating lunch today...


Ever have those moments when you sit back, look around and just think 'Yep, this is it'.

I had one of those today. In the pub, between a massive Sunday lunch and a massive piece of Banoffee pie for pudding, stretched out on the window seat, sun on my back, feet trying to avoid two large docile dogs, who had doubtless been fed too many morsels from the table -  one arm around Danger, and Sherlock and Mycroft seriously discussing the whole 'big moon' phenomenon last night, and the inaccuracies in the press regarding the science behind it. Not arguing, but discussing.

And a pint of London Pride in front of me.

Perfection.

Which, of course, got me thinking about all sorts of things about relationships and families.



I remember the first time Nicky and I sat on her bed, having a hug, as some war-of-the-adults took place downstairs, with screaming and shouting and things being smashed. And we made a pledge to each other that we'd always look out for each other. Felt sort of invincible. We went from tolerating each other in a brother-sister way to being a united force. We were Lestrade's, and even if the man who gave us the name had buggered off, it meant we were special. Different. However many marriages and kids Mum had, there wouldn't be another of us.

Remember when Brian (my ex) first mentioned us getting a civil partnership - before it was legal, but when it was all over the news, and we all hoped that it would be law very soon. In a way, that sticks in my mind more than when we actually got married - because it wasn't just for us, it was for every gay couple in the UK. The thought we could finally be partners in the eyes of the law. But inevitably, I also remember coming home to an empty flat, with a note on the table telling me it was over. And realising I didn't even think anything had been going wrong.

I love sharing life with someone, and sometimes I hate being on my own. Alone with thoughts and memories and things I've seen and done. But other times I need to be alone, because I know I have a temper and it scares me that I might inflict that on someone I love. I try to get it all out at work, on people who deserve it, keep it well away from my home life.

I find it very scary, though, when someone worries about me. Like John does. This is entirely unfair, because I can tell you that if were still in the army I'd have gnawed off my own arm with worry. Complete double standards on my part.

Some part of me never quite grew up from what Nicky was saying in comments. I never quite knew where I stood - one minute I was just a kid, and Mum and her boyfriend-of-the-moment were the adults, and we all got along the best a big non-functional family could. The next I was the man of the house, trying to hold things together, sort out however many little brothers and sisters I had at the time, make sure everyone ate and washed and slept and got to school and social services didn't come around again, poking about in our lives.

Still feel like that most of the time - like I'm holding it all together just enough that no one will notice it's all just a facade. When you're young you look up to adults and think they have some magic power of adulthood. But it never comes. You just feel like a kid getting old. So most of the time, I don't really feel like I should be one. Just a big kid, who probably shouldn't be trusted to do anything. And one day someone will suddenly realise this, and take it all away.

Of course, I know everyone else probably feels the same. Except Nicky seems to have done an excellent job at growing up. Maybe I'm just Peter Pan. Are you all the lost boys?

31 comments:

Random said...

I can so relate to all of this. Particularly the part about one minute being a kid, and the next minute being pretty much in charge. And then being expected to go back to a meek obedient child role without asking questions.

I distinctly remember feeling more confident in myself, and more able to handle responsibility, at fifteen than I do now at thirtymumblesomething.

WE'RE ALL JUST MAKING IT UP AS WE GO.

Greg Lestrade said...

SHHHHH, don't let Mycroft and Sherlock hear you! (Or John).

Lupe said...

Yep, I too when I was a kid thought that adults automatically knew what to do about anything and everything, like you grow up and you gain all the knowledge you need about dealing graciously and effortlessly with all the crap life sends your way. Buuuut it's quite not like that, isn't it? It seems to me, though, that no matter how difficult it might have been for you in the past, you're doing much, much better now. :)

Anonymous said...

I spent my childhood in pretty much the same boat as you, and I can definitely relate to being expected to jump from child to adult roles without asking any questions.

It's always nice to hear that everyone else is making it up as they go along too.

Life could do with a manual, couldn't it? Or a brochure, maybe.

Greg Lestrade said...

Lupe - having someone like John, who is (relatively) sane, and somewhat grounded is a Godsend. Although ever being left in charge of the boys in any way still fills me with total fear - despite the fact I've probably had more experience child-rearing than he has! (Although snotty toddlers are a long way from the boys.)

Blue-eyed - Yeah, but who reads the instructions to anything?? I just hope I can try to help the boys prepare for something.

Lindsay said...

I think everybody feels that way at times. I don't even think it has much if anything to do with what our lives have been like or what we've had to do. It's just part of being human.

We all just hold it together, and occasionally there's a day when we don't. Occasionally we all think "Holy hell I have no idea what I am doing." Probably more than occasionally, really.

Not sure that's very comforting, but it does have the virtue of being true, at least.

Anonymous said...

Whether you feel like a real adult or just faking it as long as you learned enough to savor those perfect moments when they come along you're doing all right.

innie said...

If you can get perfect moments like that - and you've earned them - then does it ultimately matter if you knew what you were doing all along, or if you've been faking your way through adulthood?

(And I bet John will say he's got a temper too and that you're better together than apart. Just take a look at the happy people around you and you'll agree.)

John H. D. Watson said...

I think growing up is the moment when you realize you're responsible for the wellbeing of someone else and that you're utterly unprepared for it in every possible way. So what I'm saying is that maybe you just hit it a bit harder and earlier than most people.

Your temper doesn't bother me, and I don't think it's as bad as you think it is. You hit the locker after all, not the constable.

Me worrying about you though - that I'm afraid you'll just have to get used to.

(Also you look very sweet when you're asleep. I'd take a picture, but I don't want to be murdered with a toaster.)

Lindsay said...

What is your obsession with toaster murder, John? Don't be so predictable, or when you finally do snap you're going to be damnably easy to catch. ;)

John H. D. Watson said...

Ah, but if it's not done with a toast no one will ever suspect me! Oh god I should really go back to sleep.

Anonymous said...

I am daily astonished that I'm allowed to stand in front of a room filled with tender, moldable, breakable teenage biys and attempt to impart wisdom. Especially given my personal idiosyncracies. It feels like getting away with something scandalous.
Toodle-pip,
Bronwyn

Des said...

It occurs to me that this is probably exactly what Sherlock meant when he said in this blog's first post, and I quote, "boring love stuff". I guess it was bound to happen.

Greg Lestrade said...

Lindsay - exactly. But I still wait the hand on my shoulder when they realise they've made me into a proper policeman, with powers and everything. Or Mrs Holmes realises her oys are being infuenced by someone who didn't even pass an o level. And definitely more than occasionally. Most of the time, really.

Kholly - i think that having perfect moments at all must mean youre doing something right!

Innie - all entirely true. Wise words.

John - See all replies above. I suppose it just makes me think a lot about what Mycroft must think of us. Hopefully nothing like what I thought of most of the adults who came and went during my childhood. I'm fairly sure he'd tell us if we were going too hideously wrong - right, Mycroft?

And I promise never to murder you with any kitchen appliances.

Bronwyn - that's pretty much how I feel when I'm working.

Des - sorry. I'll try to conjure up a murder. Or perhaps lace Johns place with jam to trigger another dog incident?

Mummy said...

Rest assured, Detective Inspector, if I didn't think you were a suitable influence on my children, you wouldn't be in the position you currently find yourself.

Greg Lestrade said...

Um, thanks? I suppose that's sort of reassuring. In a funny way.

Sally finds it funny, anyway, and is killing herself laughing that I have approval from 'mummy' and asks if John's mummy approves too...

Anonymous said...

Criminy, Orio. The immediate thought that popped into my head was "Hoo, I'm glad Mummy approves, I don't think Orio would like the Isle of Man." *shudder*

You scare me a little, Mrs. Holmes. I kind of like it, admittedly. But you scare me a little.

Toodle-pip,
Bronwyn

Greg Lestrade said...

Are you kidding me? I would LOVE the Isle of Man. Motorbikes and bleak scenery and space and no speed limits sound like a piece of heaven to me.

I refuse to comment on the scariness of my boyfriend's employer. For everyone's safety.

John H. D. Watson said...

You could have a motorbike here too. It'd go with your rocker leathers.

Greg Lestrade said...

I don't have rocker leathers. I have bike leathers. And I did have a bike until about 5 years ago when I got totalled by a car near Marble Arch and Brian forbade me from buying a new one.

John H. D. Watson said...

Forbade you? Really? I'm having a hard time picturing that actually working.

Greg Lestrade said...

Well, you know how people worry. Forbade me via the powers of emotional blackmail.

John H. D. Watson said...

Ah. Right.

Greg Lestrade said...

I'd have bought a new one the day he walked out. But I thought failed relationship, forties and a nice new bike pretty much added up to a mid life crisis.

Still the best way to get around the city though.

John H. D. Watson said...

You could always get one now.

Greg Lestrade said...

After seeing your reaction just now to my 'death' I'm not sure you'd cope.

Besides, don't you think it's still a bit mid-lifey?

John H. D. Watson said...

As long as you don't put it down to "emotional blackmail" on my part.

John H. D. Watson said...

Sorry. That was a bit pissy.

Greg Lestrade said...

You get a free go at being pissy after the drama today.

I dunno. It would cut down the amount of time I spend stuck on public transport between your place, the yard and my flat.

But I would feel bad if I added to your worries.

John H. D. Watson said...

I'm not going to tell you how to live your life.

That sounds completely passive agressive, I know, but I swear I mean it sincerely.

Greg Lestrade said...

I understand, and appreciate it. See other comments.

Post a Comment