2 March 2011

Midnight calls.

Right. The Met's shrink always says it's good to write things down. And John does it. I've got to admit I'm more a 'go down the pub and sink a few pints with your mates' sort of guy usually - given that in this job your mates usually saw the same stuff you did. But since you all seem to have been following this saga since John posted about it in the small hours I suppose you don't mind hearing about it. It'll probably make the local press tomorrow anyway.



Phone went off, never a good sign, and it was the station to say there'd been a killing on my team's patch. Didn't get much detail over the 'phone, but enough to know it's an address that's know to us. Sadly, that often means it's a domestic violence case, or a vulnerable person. Uniform were on the scene, so I got up, headed to the bathroom, hoping to get out of the house with minimum fuss.

And when I opened the bathroom door to head back to the bedroom, there was a small boy and a large dog waiting for me.

John was up already, very kindly insisting on making me food, so he did his best with a sleepy Sherlock and a quiet Mycroft and two big dogs.

Long story short, when I got to the scene there was a body (stabbed), a lot of blood (didn't die straight away, got through the kitchen, into the living room). But not the body I was expecting. It was the husband. The wife immediately confessed - had already confessed to uniform. They filled me in with the fact they visit the address quite often, he was an alcoholic, violent, she'd never press charges. A sadly common story.

She said she just snapped, had enough, they were in the kitchen, she grabbed the knife.

But it just didn't add up. The position of the wounds, the blood patterns, all sorts. Anyway, the daughter was there, too, but in the end we had to take the wife away to the station, and after a while we followed, leaving forensics to do their job.

Before we got back, the daughter was already demanding to see the wife, yelling about how violent the husband had been, the years of abuse the wife had gone through. But you've got to ignore all that, for the start of it. You've got to get a statement, a clear one, which means questioning and...well, it's not very nice, and you've also got to keep an open mind.

After a bit of news from forensics, and a prelim from the pathologist, well, her story just didn't ring true.

It took a while, but in the end we worked it out. There had been a blazing row, he had got violent, abusive - he was completely drunk - and when he went for the wife, the daughter went for him. Then they kept well clear of him as he bled to death. Both confessed.

So, despite us bringing charges within about 12 hours of the crime, it's one of those jobs where you don't feel good. You haven't got a murdering bastard off the streets, you haven't protected the general public, you've just watched a family rip itself to pieces. Kids and the daughter's husband have lost a grandparent, and a mother and grandmother to jail.

And then I read this in the paper on the way home:


Police officers are likely to face pay cuts as part of a drive to make savings in the service in England and Wales, the home secretary has indicated.
Theresa May told police leaders in London that three-quarters of their budget - £11bn a year - was spent on wages.
The government is planning to cut its funding for the police by 20% by 2015.
A review of police wages and conditions will be published next week, and could consider cutting overtime payments.

Yeah, that's the Home Secretary who probably earns double what I do. Four times more than a PC on the front line.. She should give our jobs a go sometime.  I'm sure I could find someone willing to do hers.

23 comments:

Des said...

I think the government is still hoping for volunteer police officers. You know, for the Big Society. Eventually the government won't have to pay for anything and they can use all the tax money for claiming second homes!

Lupe said...

Oh man, that's a very sad story. I'm sorry for that family, it's just terrible. :C

Mycroft said...

That's stupid. They should be pleased 75% of their budget goes to wages. It means it's not being wasted.

Greg Lestrade said...

Cheers Mycroft. Anything you want from the market tomorrow? And are you okay? You can come down here and talk face to face if you want. Isn't it cramped in your room with you, the laptop AND two dogs??

Mycroft said...

Blue cheese, the kind with lots of blue. Extremely blue cheese.

I like it up here.

...Is that going to happen a lot?

Greg Lestrade said...

I will find you some blue cheese that has Mrs Hudson complaining about the smell every time we open the fridge up here. Lovely stuff!

And that's cool, I was just checking. I used to like my room too. Except I had to share with my little half-brother, Daniel.

I honestly don't know. Not a lot, no, but sometimes, and I can't ever guess when it might. If you'd rather, I can stay over less. I don't want to disrupt you all. Deimos looked like he thought I was a burglar for him to eat this morning.

Mycroft said...

Thank you.

Do you have a lot of brothers?

No, you should stay over more so it happens a smaller percentage of the times you're here. Deimos likes you really. He's just kind of nervous when things happen that are out of the ordinary.

annoyedwabbit said...

Ugh, budget cuts. Some cities near where I live don't even have police or fire departments anymore. I do not approve of this state of affairs. Here's hoping people will pitch a fit and you will be spared the worst of their effects.

The case sounds miserable - reminds me of a study released recently which concluded that alcohol is the most damaging drug, ahead of things like cocaine and heroin, because of the affects it has on the people around the addict.

Greg Lestrade said...

Two half-brothers, a sister and a half-sister. It gets a bit complicated. My two half-brothers are also half-brothers to each other... Guess no one but my Mum could put up with us all. Everyone else came and went.

And I like your reasoning there. And I know Deimos was just checking everything was okay. Glad you were there to protect me from him (and Sherlock) though.

Mycroft said...

So you're the oldest and then your sister and then everyone else had different fathers?

I wouldn't presume to protect anyone from Sherlock. Even John can only divert him.

Greg Lestrade said...

I am the oldest (shush, Sherlock. Doesn't mean I'm OLD), then my sister (same father), then one brother and another sister (they've got the same father), then a final brother. People got very confused, back in those days, that we all had different surnames. I think my mum got pretty confused with it all. She used to get it wrong on letters to school.

And you do a fine job with Sherlock. I understand it's not easy!

Mycroft said...

Are you ever going to bring them to dinner? Harry comes sometimes.

Greg Lestrade said...

Not all at once, that's for sure! We'd never fit.

I'm only really close to my sister, but yeah, I'm sure we could arrange something, if people want to. Just no asking for embarrassing stories about me from my youth, deal? (That goes for John, too.)

Mycroft said...

That's not fair. I'm only 12 and statistically speaking there are bound to be embarrassing stories in my future. Since you'll be around for them, I ought to know yours too.

Greg Lestrade said...

Indeed...12 and still awake at this hour, despite having interrupted sleep last night. BED TIME.

And what are you going to do that's embarrassing in front of me? Forget how to conjugate a verb in Latin or something? How would I ever know??

And don't answer that, GO TO SLEEP.

Mycroft said...

Fiiiiiiiiiiiine.

Greg Lestrade said...

SLEEP! Or should we come up there and tuck you in and read you a bedtime story?

Mycroft said...

You could just come up to say good night. If you wanted to.

Sylv said...

God, poor family. I hate stories like that, with abusive spouses and alcohol and all.. :/

And then on top of that stupid threats of wage cuts... :( I hope you have a better day tomorrow! (Or, well, today, really, isn't it by now?)

John H. D. Watson said...

Did it help at all?

(PS thanks for getting him to sleep.)

innie said...

That is just a wretched situation all around. I suppose the only thing you can do is be glad you've got someone lovely to go home to.

Greg Lestrade said...

To everyone - thanks for the comments, and yes, everyone was a loser in that case. Pretty horrible.

John - well it didn't make it any worse! And not a problem.

(for anyone wondering how I have time to update now, I am a neutral observer of the Watson - Holmes battle of 'would it be better for Sherlock to go to school, or come to the market with us?'. Guess who's on which side...)

Lindsay said...

Ugh, what nastiness. It goes with the territory, I suppose, but sometimes doing your job does NOT feel good, I know.

I'm sure the press attention is going to be a mess, too, if your media are anything like ours; reporters are the same everywhere...

God, I hear you on the wage thing! Our police force is livid because they just had their pensions cut. I've had my pay cut too. :P Almost as bad as the pay cuts are the constant complaints from the public and the press about how lazy and overpaid govt. workers are! Like you said, let's see them try it sometime.

Post a Comment